Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hillary Clinton Will Go To Burma

Hmmmmm…. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will soon be traveling to Burma. Well, I was in Burma in December, 1987. I had extreme difficulty finding a bottle of clean water to drink. I was nacreous for 3 full days after I left. In September, 1988 my best friend, Anne Marie Tresham and I raised over $1,000 (in Thai Baht) to help get medical supplies to the marching Burmese who were being gunned down in the streets.

I kept asking myself, “How can people take it?” Nine months later Aung Sung Suu Kyi, 1990’s Noble Peace Prize winner, made her first public speech in Rangoon.

Most people know the name of the country as Myanmar. Jim Carrey and I still call it Burma.


Anne Marie now lives in Perth, Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment