Sunday, August 22, 2010

From Insight to Write

3 Cups of Tea co-author Greg Mortenson see (www.3cupsoftea.com )was on Face the Nation (see www.cbsnews.com/sections/.../main3460.shtml) today. I have listened to that program on a.m. radio (www.wbbm.cbslocal.com) many times but this was the first time I heard a travel writer interviewed. Mortenson climbed mountains in Pakistan and he spent a considerable amount of time in Afghanistan. He learned about the culture and values of the region and later built schools there.

With more limited resources and I'm sure less physical rigor than Mortenson, I traveled in 40 countries to enjoy myself and also to reach out to the people of each host country. Imagine how much better the world would be if international policy makers regularly consulted with us travel writers when solving problems.

Let’s learn about the country’s culture
Rather than act like vultures
This well traveled Helene
Worked on learning languages like a machine
Of honoring the ways of others I like to write
It sure gave me insight

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helene,
    I found this online yesterday and really love it -- thought as a solo traveler you might enjoy it too, for its beautiful observations and reflections.
    Travel safe!
    ~ Oriana

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X7sZzSXYs

    ReplyDelete